Monday, January 7, 2013

The Stranger Outline


Prathit Kadam
Mr. George
AP English Language and Literature
8 January 2013
Mersault’s Eventual Acceptance
Thesis: Despite the hostility and the indifference Mersault experiences in society, Mersault’s indifference is come to a halt as he manages to accept the fate that has bestowed upon him. Mersault recognizes his indifference to the world after reflecting upon the world’s hostility towards him and ultimately recognizes his fate, where he comes to being with himself, despite the ridiculousness and the philosophical nature of Absurdism in Alfred Camus’s The Stranger.
I.                   Before Mersault accepts his indifference to the external world Camus maps out within The Stranger he undergoes various situations where the external world tests his soul.
A.    The first example of where we see Mersault’s curious indifference to the world is when he deals with Maman’s death.
1.      “I was able to understand Maman better. Evenings in that part of the country must have been a kind of sad relief. But today, with the sun bearing down, making the whole landscape shimmer with heat, it was inhuman and oppressive” (Camus 15).
2.      “It occurred to me that anyway one more Sunday was over, that Maman was buried now, that I was going back to work, and that, really, nothing had changed” (24).
B.     The direct relationship between Mersault’s indifference and the sun seems to empower Mersault into an uncontrollable fit of frustration and confusion.
1.      “All that heat was pressing down on me and making it hard for me to go on. And every time I felt a blast of its hot breath strike my face, I gritted my teeth, clenched my fists in my trouser pockets, and strained every nerve in order to overcome the sun and the thick drunkenness it was spilling over me” (57).
2.      “The sun was the same as it had been the day I’d buried Maman, and like then, my forehead especially was hurting me, all the veins in it throbbing under the skin. It was this burning, which I couldn't stand anymore, that made me move forward” (59).
i.                    The sun symbolizes Mersault’s attitude in dealing with the external world. We will come to see how Mersault realizes his indifference and his attitudes to the external world and see how he conforms to this.
C.     During the trial, Mersault’s alienation in society causes him to believe that the external world is fully against him. It is at this point where he realizes his indifference to the world and attempts to reflect upon it.
1.      “I explained to him, however, that my nature was such that my physical needs often got in the way of my feelings” (65).
2.      “He didn't understand me, and he was sort of holding it against me” (66).
3.      “I noticed then that everyone was waving and exchanging greetings and talking, as if they were in a club where people are glad to find themselves among others from the same world. That is how I explained to myself the strange impression I had of being odd man out, a kind of intruder” (84).
4.      “Maman used to say that you can always find something to be happy about” (113).
(Key quotes)
5.      “Nothing, nothing mattered, and I knew why. Throughout the whole absurd life I’d lived, a dark […] wind leveled whatever was offered to me at the time, in years no more real than the ones I was living” (121).
6.      “As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again” (122-123).
i.                    This last quote thoroughly details out Mersault’s ultimate recognition of his indifference and how it ultimately sparked his happiness. Despite knowing of his execution as a response to his crime, Mersault takes realization into account by accepting his indifference in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment